Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Popular Culture Artifact One


According to Dictonary.com (2009), Popular Culture is “contemporary lifestyle and items that are well known and generally accepted, cultural patterns that are widespread within a population; also called pop culture.” So, this means it is something well liked and accepted by most social groups that make up the eighty percent of the populace. Understanding this concept is relevant to individuals as consumers and in the business world. In order to impact companies’ people must use the views of the popular crowd to keep a supply and demand for their preferences. In the business world these same individuals must know the views of the popular group in order to market products or know what products to develop next. To view representations of this Cookie Monster artifact please watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhUFxaauNTE. A simple Muppet whose design was teaching children numbers forty years ago is still in the year 2009 an advertising and merchandising work of art.

6 comments:

  1. I am not sure to how to add an extra section for APA. So, this is my first attempt.

    References
    BillingsGazette.com. (2009). Costumes that rocked faces. Retrieved November 10, 2009, from. http://my.billingsgazette.com/assets/mybillingsgazette/blogs/0/0/F/6/00F69FDD-54F6-4FAE-BBF9-89607D9F4F23/images/cookie_monster_20090923123901_400.jpg
    Dictonary.com. (2009).An ask.com service. Retrieved November 10, 2009, from. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/popular+culture

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seem to have hit the popular culture artifact right on target. Being older I remember the cookie monster from when I was a kid and he still is loved by many kids nowadays. What a great way for kids to learn and some how that funny little blue guy is able to keep the kid's attention. I also love the way that your blog looks I almost wish that I was a girl so that I could get away with useing the pink template it looks great. I look forward to what else you might have to post on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Christopher for taking the time to read and comment. I watched the show too. My children watched the show, and now my grandson is watching.Pink is my favorite color. I just had to use the template.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the color you chose was a good choice. It seems to have caught the eye of a couple of people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now a post about your chosen artifact. I like the artifact you chose, even though I wasn't a Sesame Street kid, I surely used the program as a 30 minute babysitter for my children. I then realized that aside from babysitting, my children were actually learning from the characters on Sesame street. Good popular culture artifact.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice choice for an artifact. I remember watching Sesame Street off and on as a child but I often got bored. When I had a child I never let him watch television, especially after some of the reports I read while pregnant. When my son turned two, I finally gave in and let him watch television (mainly PBS and Nick JR), I was amazed at what he was learning. It makes me wonder about those reports that I read.

    ReplyDelete