Friday, December 4, 2009

For a Person's Own Good

Should weight affect a person’s ability to graduate? At Pennsylvania’s Lincoln University it does. One of the requirements for successful graduation at this university is a Body Mass Index (BMI) 30 or under 30. Otherwise, these students marked as clinically obese, must enroll in a remedial fitness class that meets at least three days a week. The directive began in 2006, when directors felt compelled to help students with their health (Harding, 2009).
According to Harding (2009), this entails blatant discrimination against the obese students. She believes if they insist on fitness for their students then the testing for the unfit should not just based on weight. In fact, prevented from enrolling in the fitness class are students who possess a BMI less than the measurement of 30.
When people first read the description of the class, it sounds fun. The activities include water aerobics and Tai Bo. If someone has ever taken classes, they know paying for education is much different from public education.
So, how would they feel if told they had to pay tuition to take the class? Along with the fact, that their fellow classmates who have less than 30 BMI have no such requirements. In fact, they receive their degrees even when they hold lower GPAs. “As Tiana Lewis said in an editorial for the school newspaper, "I came here to get an education which, as a three time honor student, is something I have been doing quite well, despite the fact that I have a slightly high Body Mass Index." Lewis tested out of the class but chose to take it anyway…”
It was not until Bill Clinton was president people realized that weight was a growing problem for the United States. Every adult knows that should not be overweight. Should the government take on the worry of the steadily increasing waist sizes of America for their own good? Does the American government have the right to take the choice out of the citizen’s hand? With the story fast becoming National News, which side of the debate should the popular culture group take?

References
Harding, K. (2009). You must be this thin to graduate. Retrieved December 4, 2009, from. http://www.salon.com/life/broadsheet/feature/2009/12/01/lincoln_university/index.html">http://www.salon.com/life/broadsheet/feature/2009/12/01/lincoln_university/index.html

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I've never heard of such a tale. I have mixed emotions about this post. First, I do not believe the University has any business setting this requirement as a graduation prerequisite. But since they have already, why wouldn't they allow someone with a BMI of 30 or less to attend if the students were interested in the class and would pay the tuition? As I see it, if a person wants to be included for the exercise of it, or for the fun, s/he should be permitted to attend. Second, I almost want to applaud the University for doing something about the obesity problem, at least a small proportion of the problem. I'm speechless.

    You know what I would rather see? If this remains a requirement, allow anyone to take the course and pay the tuition fee; however, let those who have already paid once continue to audit the class for free until graduation requirements have been met. Awesome post- Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete